Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Lightning - Is It All It's Cracked Up to Be?

Years ago, I heard about a man who walked on a manhole cover and was electrocuted because of some extra energy he had in his body - I now avoid manhole covers.  I heard that you are not supposed to touch a light switch with wet hands - if my hands are wet and I need light, I use my elbow to lift the switch.  I heard that you shouldn't bathe while it is lightning - I won't even wash the dishes when it is lightning.

Are any of the previous warnings true?  To be honest, I am not really sure.  To be even more honest, I do not care whether they are true or not.  I just tend to believe them and adhere to them to ensure my safety...especially when it comes to lightning.

I am afraid of lightning.  I freely admit that.  "My name is Sheila Fisher.  I do not like lightning."  The only cracking of the sky I can get excited about is the one that will occur upon Jesus' return.

Because I try not to think too much about lightning, I do not think I have a lot to say on the matter.  However, since it is part of storms and for the sake of this blog, I will attempt to touch on it briefly.

Maybe my fear comes from not understanding its purpose.  I know the cause of it.  I just don't know why God created it.  The only reason I can think of is lightning could be a warning.  God could be saying, "Get inside.  This storm is going to be serious."  Knowing that being around trees can be dangerous when it is lightning, He could also be saying, "It's time find shelter."

In a spiritual sense, lightning during a storm can be the perfect flashlight during the midnight hours of your life.  It can light your path away from danger.  When we cannot see the forest for the trees, it can direct us to shelter.  Again, trees and lightning do not mix...or so I heard.  Lightning can lead us out of the woods and into the shelter of God's arms.

Why?  The reason is because lightning directs our attention upward.  We can be so focused on what is going on around us that we neglect to even acknowledge God's presence in the midst of our storm.  God will definitely use lightning to gain our attention.  Just think about the conditions at the foot of Mount Sinai right before the children of Israel were in the presence of God. 

Exodus 19:16,17 - And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that were in the camp trembled.  And Moses brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether part of the mount.

After writing this, I can definitely view lightning a little differently now.  Is is possible that lightning is not my enemy?  Could it instead be God's way of warning me?  Perhaps, it is God's way of getting my attention.  How assuring to have confirmation that God knows our storms and will guide us in the midst of them. 

Another scripture just came to mind.  It will help me to change my fear of lightning into something useful.

2 Timothy 1:7 - For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

I ask you to join me in not cringing from the lightning portion of your storms.  Instead follow the path it lights for you.  Take the path that leads you to safety.  Will you give God your attention during your storms?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I pray that you received something insightful that will bless you throughout your life.