Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Rain - Making Mud Pies

I remember my sister and I as children playing in the rain with our friends.  I especially loved the moment when the rain was beating down so hard you could see the small circles it made as it hit the ground.  That was the best rain for us to run around in.  The raindrops would be so cold that we would instinctively hunch our shoulders because our bodies couldn't take a direct hit.

We would squeal with delight as we dared to face the powerful rain, not concerned with our hair or clothing getting wet.  In fact, the more our clothing stuck to our bodies, the prouder we were.  With feigned dismay and in an attempt to outdo each other, we would show each other how wet we really were.  Afterward, we would feel exhilarated and victorious for having survived such a brave feat.  We were rebels in our own minds.  We were defying the umbrellas, rain slickers, and goulashes.  All of these items dictated that we should be afraid of the rain.

As a child, I thought that someone should have told the adults responsible for producing the protective rain gear that the rain was refreshing.  The rain washed away the summer heat.  It turned the dirt into mud, which was perfect for making mud pies.  It allowed us to be refreshed and renewed to face the heat again.

I am an adult now.  As an adult, I realize that the rain can be an inconvenience.  Who needs something extra to worry about?  Who needs another object to carry when our hands are already full of briefcases, keys, and coffee.  It is difficult to balance an umbrella on top of all these things, however we still struggle with one all in the effort to not let the rain touch us.

When the rain comes in the midst of the blowing winds, it can feel like needles pricking our skin.  When we are going through a personal storm, it can feel like needles pricking our spirit.  It is okay to feel the pain.  It lets us know we are ALIVE.  AWARE.  ACKNOWLEDGED. 

How can we truly appreciate the sunshine without the rain?  Just as the rain helps plants to grow, we grow when we allow life to water us with difficult decisions to make.  We become challenged when we are faced with trials and tribulations.  It is during these times we learn to fight and to rely on God to offer adequate protection. 

When the rain hits so hard that it leaves holes in your spirit, God is able to then fill those voids with the right measure of mercy and grace.

What would happen if we looked at the rain through the eyes of a child on a hot summer day?  Would we dare to stand in the rain?  Would we allow it to wash away our grime?  Would we make mud pies out of the mud surrounding our feet?  Would we stand exhilarated and refreshed after the rain had ceased?

Sometimes I sit on my porch when it is raining.  I watch to see which direction the wind is blowing and pray that I will get touched by the blowing mist.  As I do, I close my eyes and try to muster up the nerve to go play in the rain.  Maybe one day I will.  

I challenge you to let the situations that fall into your lap like raindrops take you to a place of cleansing.  Let the situations reveal what is truly inside you underneath the grime of fear, pain, anger, and insecurity you may carry inside.  When the rain stops, pick up the mud and make a pie of experience, growth, and learning - then share your mud pie.  There will be enough to go around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I pray that you received something insightful that will bless you throughout your life.